Saturday, October 24, 2009

Christmas in October


Why do you hear Christmas music here on our blog today? A brief explanation...

So for most of the world, October 1st marks the date when kids begin to plan out their costumes; when moms break out the Halloween decorations and when you can find every old cheesy horror movie on late night TV. I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Halloween. Don't get me wrong -- if you want to give me some candy I'll take it, but don't make me dress up for it. If I have to dress up I'd rather just go buy some candy and save myself the hassle. With an attitude like that, October 1st has little to do with Halloween at the Thomas household. So here it is --October is the "pre-Christmas" month.

What does that mean? It means that the boys get up on the roof to get the Christmas lights hung -- it just makes sense; we live in a climate where snow is likely to fall in late October. But the real events triggered by the passing of September are that we start watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas music. Some say it's just wrong; that it's too early to start watching little Kevin McAllister take down Marv and Harry, too early to head back to Vermont with Bing and Danny for a little White Christmas, too soon to enjoy Tim Allen in any of his 3 Christmas movie offerings (trust me, I could go on and on); or too early for listening to Bing, Frank, Mel, Harry (Connic Jr.). It's one thing to listen in your own house, which we do. Nothing brings on the Halloween spirit in our home like carving the pumkins with Harry C. Jr belting out a lively version of Sleigh Bells. It's all together different to listen in your office and in the car -- out where all can hear and judge and laugh and... Well, I am here today to publicly announce that WE LISTEN TO CHRISTMAS MUSIC IN OCTOBER. Sorry if this offends your Halloween spirit. It's just what we do. If you feel compulsed to short change us when we trick or treat as some sort of retaliatory defense of all things Halloween, then so be it.

And for all of you who worry that we're also short changing Thankgiving -- not so fast. I love it and give the holiday it's due. You see, in my mind, it's the PERFECT mid point of our Christmas holiday season. This also marks THE weekend when you must change over all decorations in the home to Christmas. Just do it -- you'll thank me later.

I have to admit that I've been muting the Christmas music in my office when people walk in -- not necessarily because I can't hear what they have to say, but because I've been a little embarassed to have them know I'm listening to Christmas music already. No more. I'm out and proud of it! As my good friend Johnny Mathis put it "its the most wonderful time of the year". That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Melanie, Words cannot describe my disappointment. Seriously. Don't you get sick of Christmas music by the time Christmas actually rolls around? I'm talknig about the preservation of Christmas Spirit here! Ha ha. I love you guys anyways. :)

Alana said...

christmas! bah humbug. not yet!! wait til black friday lady.